A new house in sympathy with the Listed buildings

Part of an important group of buildings dating back to the 14th century, these listed stable buildings were probably built as a barn in the 17th century and converted to stables in the 18th; alongside is a Victorian stable range, built by Arts and Crafts architect Phillip Webb in the 1890's.

The building was derelict and was in need of extensive repair and refurbishment. This included underpinning, repair of settlement cracks, support for the leaning-belfry, generally strengthening the structure, as well as the usual repairs.

Once the building was structurally safe, work began on the creation of a new house in sympathy with the Listed buildings. The new stair with slatted balustrades sits under the belfry with a light-well rising 30 feet and refurbished stable clock on a gallery above. Kitchen and utility fittings were designed by the architect in a simple Arts & Crafts style.

The former hayloft forms the Master Bedroom Suite, divided to create a dressing room and bathroom at one end with large balcony overlooking the bedroom, which rises two storeys to the original roof timbers above.

<< Back to project overview

Conversion Gloucestershire

Description: Conversion of Former Stables Location: Gloucestershire For: Country Estate Trust